Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

In 1578, Queen Elizabeth I granted a patent to Humphrey Gilbert

Go down 
AuthorMessage
jancancook

In 1578, Queen Elizabeth I granted a patent to Humphrey Gilbert Empty
PostSubject: In 1578, Queen Elizabeth I granted a patent to Humphrey Gilbert   In 1578, Queen Elizabeth I granted a patent to Humphrey Gilbert Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 4:00 pm

In 1578, Queen Elizabeth I granted a patent to Humphrey Gilbert for discovery and overseas exploration.[17] That year, Gilbert sailed for the West Indies with the intention of engaging in piracy and establishing a colony in North America, but the expedition was aborted before it had crossed the Atlantic.[18][19] In 1583 he embarked on a second attempt, on this occasion to the island of Newfoundland whose harbour he formally claimed for England, although no settlers were left behind. Gilbert did not survive the return journey to England, and was succeeded by his half-brother, Walter Raleigh, who was granted his own patent by Elizabeth in 1584. Later that year, Raleigh founded the colony of Roanoke on the coast of present-day North Carolina, but lack of supplies caused the colony to fail.[20]

condo developments in pattaya
calvert county homes for sale
Back to top Go down

In 1578, Queen Elizabeth I granted a patent to Humphrey Gilbert
Page 1 of 1