Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

In 1583, Queen Elizabeth I of England granted

Go down 
AuthorMessage
jancancook

In 1583, Queen Elizabeth I of England granted  Empty
PostSubject: In 1583, Queen Elizabeth I of England granted    In 1583, Queen Elizabeth I of England granted  Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 5:03 pm

In 1583, Queen Elizabeth I of England granted Walter Raleigh a charter to explore and plant a colony north of Spanish Florida.[54] In 1584, Raleigh sent an expedition to the Atlantic coast of North America.[55] The name "Virginia" may have been suggested then by Raleigh or Elizabeth, perhaps noting her status as the "Virgin Queen", and may also be related to a native phrase, "Wingandacoa", or name, "Wingina".[56] Initially the name applied to the entire coastal region from South Carolina to Maine, plus the island of Bermuda.[57] The London Company was incorporated as a joint stock company by the proprietary Charter of 1606, which granted land rights to this area. The Company financed the first permanent English settlement in the "New World", Jamestown. Named for King James I, it was founded in May 1607 by Christopher Newport.[58] In 1619, colonists took greater control with an elected legislature called the House of Burgesses. With the bankruptcy of the London Company in 1624, the settlement was taken into royal authority as a British crown colony.[59]

Stephen Pierce
demographics by neighborhood
Back to top Go down

In 1583, Queen Elizabeth I of England granted
Page 1 of 1